New Coat

I've started a new knitting project! And it wasn't until I sat down to write this post that I realized the spiritual significance of my pattern choice! I'm knitting a matinee swing jacket. . . . a NEW COAT of sorts! (For more on this, check out my post--Old Coats)

I'm so excited about taking on something new, something that's a "step up" for me in terms of difficulty. Still a beginner pattern, but sewing sleeves together? A new challenge! The picture shows the jacket in gold, but I'm making mine in black. Isn't it cool?

Maybe this, too, is a metaphor for my life! I want to step up spiritually--truly live the love of Christ. Live what I believe. Especially with my family. I don't want to snap at my children when they're acting out for attention. I want to give them what they need. I want to be emotionally present, gentle, patient, kind. I want to wrap them in the warm love of Christ. I have so far to go. . .

The lady at the yarn store offered me advice that I will take to heart as a New Year's resolution, words to live by: "Don't give up! Be willing to read the pattern repeated times. And don't be afraid to unravel mistakes!"

Don't give up: "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

Read the pattern: "Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. . .Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them. The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple" Psalm 119:97, 129-130

Unravel mistakes without fear: "Who is a God like you who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance?" Micah7:18

My favorite table at the nearby fabric outlet is the one labeled Remnants. WE are the remnant of his inheritance being knit together in love. He never gives up on us. He patterns our lives for his purpose. And our transgressions he willingly pardons!

To check out this pattern, go to: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60468.html?noImages=

1 comments:

    On January 23, 2008 at 12:08 PM Anonymous said...

    whoo-hoo! We are uniquely fashioned after His likeness! You will do a fantastic job crafting your new black coat.

    love,
    julie mac

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum