Osteoporosis -- A Story Missed!

Several months ago I stumbled across a bible story I'd never heard before. The imagery was so striking: a woman in the synogogue healed of osteoporosis. I find it sort of odd that I've never heard a message from the pulpit on this passage! It's all about being "bent" physically, but I think the deeper layers of this story suggest we can also suffer in posture spiritually apart from the healing touch of Christ.

Luke 13: 10-13

On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, 'Woman, you are set free from your infirmity.' Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God."

I wish I knew more about bibilical history, and the culture of the time, because I have to wonder if there is any connection between this woman's infirmity and misogyny. Wasn't it abnormal for a woman to be "called forward" in such a masculine-driven, male-defined setting? I think so!

Thank you Lord that you heal women. Call us forward. That you straighten our posture, freeing us to praise you in the fulness of who we were made to be: Christ-like women of strength, grace, and dignity.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum