Milestones

Last Thursday, Rich and I celebrated our anniversary with a rare night off from the kids, and complimentary tickets to the Chanhassen Dinner Theater to see "Les Miserable." Before leaving the house, I was insistent that we get a decent picture of the two of us. 15 years feels like an important milestone, and so despite Rich's aversion to "posing" I insisted we get out the digital camera. Our 8-year old willingly played "photographer." It was hilarious. Rich kept saying, "Jen, try not to get anything in the frame from here (pointing to his belly) up." I kept saying, "Zoom in. Zoom in," agreeing that maybe a "head-shot" would hide our way-too-wide waistlines. No matter what angle Jen tried, neither of us liked what we saw! We'd preview every frame, and quickly delete it from the memory card. "Try again, Jen!" Then, I'd sit up taller, or tell Rich to smile more.

When my parents arrived on the scene to babysit, my dad stepped in to help with our goal to get a "nice" photo. Not exactly equipped with an artistic eye, his photography-skills were surprisingly worse. His pictures were all off center, fuzzy, or "head shots" that featured the tops of our heads more than our faces. After 20 minutes of this, Rich and I finally settled on one that was "okay," and headed off to the theater.

It was wonderful to connect. Rich has a wonderful way of remembering details of our shared-history that I too quickly forget. We reviewed the different homes, suburbs and areas we've lived in over the years, and talked about how they each seem to represent a different season of our lives. He reminded me about the time that I accidentally threw one of my paychecks in the garbage, and he (faithful and loving husband that he is) climbed into the apartment complex's oversized dumpsters to retrieve it. It took some digging, but he actually found it!

Considering all aspects of our evening (including the amazing show, conversation, and the "divine" coconut shrimp) the highlight for me was when one of the theater photographers approached our table and asked if we wanted a photo. Rich practically crawled under the table when I jumped up and said "Yes, we'd love one!"

"Haven't you had enough of this?" Rich pleaded.

Not only did we get a "decent" photo, AT LAST, but we didn't have to pay for it because our waitress suggested the photographer give it to us for free. (Isn't that cool?) The next day I was inspired to finish scrapbooking our wedding/honeymoon album (Yes, it's taken me 15 years!) I decided at the end of the scrapbook I would include photos of ourselves at important milestones. It's almost weird how much that anniversary photo means to me.

Images affect us in a powerful way. Photos help us see ourselves--not just physically. A picture can stir up and record important memories, feelings, thoughts. And sometimes they help others see us in a new way. I once read an article in the Christian Science Monitor about a photography class that offered to take professional photos of homeless families for free. It was a rare luxury for these people who were more focused on scraping up money for a place to live, but the article talks about how people on both sides of the camera were changed.

To check out this inspiring story, click on: http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1122/p13s01-legn.html Sometimes we think it takes more than we have to make a difference in the world. But in this case, the difference was made with a little focus, and the simple click of a finger.

Jennifer's "okay" photo! 15 years of marriage!

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum