The Fragrance of Giving, Part 2

Several posts ago, I wrote about Willard Campbell, the gardener who shares homegrown roses with people in his town. His passionate, committed, consistent generosity inspired me. Seem too sentimental? Too sappy? Insignificant in the grand scheme of things? I say "no way." It's truly the "little" things we do for others that make the biggest difference.

I stumbled across the movie "Pay It Forward" on cable last week, and watched it again. Remember the story? Haley Joel Osment, Helen Hunt, and Kevin Spacey? Kevin Spacey is a teacher who challenges his social studies class with a project: find a way to make engage the world and make an impact. Haley Joel comes up with the "pay it forward" philosophy: do something kind for three people (and in his mind it has to be something "hard"--something that stretches you personally). Then, ask them to pay the kindness forward. The exponential power of his plan is what motivates him to find just the "right" act of kindness, and the "right" person who will truly follow through with the "pay it forward" concept.

Haley Joel takes huge risks. He gives a homeless man all of his savings so that he can "clean up," buy a suit, and get a much-needed job. And the man gets a job! But along the way, Haley Joel discovers that his new "friend" is a heroin addict, and has fallen back into using. Discouraged, disheartened, determined, Haley crosses off his friend's name from his "pay it forward" map, and tries to find someone else, and someone else, and someone else, repeatedly seeking out new random-act-of-kindness recipients whenever he suspects plans are failing, or the chain is breaking.

But he cannot see the full scope of his actions--people are in fact being influenced and continuing to influence others. By the end of the movie, Haley Joel gives his life in an especially daring and loving act of intervention. And thousands of people that he has inspired, nationwide, come to his home with candles, and flowers, and well-wishes for his grieving mother. Among the group is a reporter who has tracked the "pay it forward" connection from person to person to person -- across the states -- in an amazing testimony to the difference one small child can make.

And so now. . .how does all this connect to me? Several days ago, my dear friend Lisa came over for lunch. And I was again reminded how truly fragrant and powerful is the discipline of giving. Lisa showed up on my doorstep with a bouquet of colorful zinnias, black-eyed susans, and daisies. We shared a simple meal of egg salad sandwiches. Lisa brought homemade Rice Krispy Treats. Yum! The kids were ecstatic to share such a gooey treat. And Lisa also gave me a C.D. she made, downloading some of her favorite songs from I-tunes.

As I've been listening to the C.D. all week, the fragrance of Lisa's visit lingers. I'm so blessed by Lisa's specific thoughtfulness and the music of her soul. I love the way she looks at life, her desire to walk with honesty, integrity authenticity, faithfulness to God. It has been a number of years since I have felt or seen God's hand in my life (I'm sure He's been there, but I have felt so disconnected and discouraged.) Recently, however, my heart has been ignited with new sparks of joy. I can sense God partnering with me in a new way. And it seems evident that Lisa's gift of friendship--her prayerful presence in my life--is one of the many God-given reasons I am walking anew.

It's a good reminder. Simple acts of kindness, grace, and love can literally turn someone's life around.

Lisa, the gifts you bring inside of you bless me most of all! Thank you for being my friend!

1 comments:

    On August 17, 2007 at 7:42 PM Anonymous said...

    Friendship is such a wonderful thing!! I was so refreshed and renewed by our visit. It is so strange to me that you have felt so disconnected with God, because I so see God in you. I thank God for you in my life. You are a treasure!

    Be Gods!
    Lisa

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum