At this very moment, while I'm writing and Sean is napping, my crockpot is full of Velveeta cheese, Monterey Jack, diced tomatoes, chili's and jalapenos, all bubbling together for this evening's festivities. Jennifer has a school concert, and I don't have to work, so Rich agreed to help me throw a family party. We'll unpack our Fontanini creche, decorate the tree, read some Christmas stories (my new favorite is Great Joy by Kate DiCamillo) and enjoy some snacky soul food (chips and cheese) before heading to school to hear Jen sing.

My heart is warmly anticipating the evening. God is with us, and so time together will be "good" no matter how the scene unfolds. But in all reality it'll be less Norman Rockwell, and more like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Sean will probably be crabby (he's fighting a cold). I'm sure to get frustrated keeping our coughing four-year old "quiet" and "in-his-seat" for the concert. There will be the usual bickering between Jennifer and Ryker. And Rich, battling a sinus infection, will smile in his good-natured way and hang on for the holiday ride with a box of Kleenex in hand.

I can't help but think: life is a lot like Christmas Queso. It's one of the reasons I've refrained from blogging these past few months. Because it's hard to separate out my sticky, gooey melting pot of thoughts, experiences, and feelings. And Queso is a messy dish to serve. So rather than try and give you a Martha Stewart version of our lives, I'll simply list individual ingredients like a recipe:

The Mueller Melting Pot:

1) Sean is definitely the spice in our lives. Several weeks ago, he went through an Early Childhood screening process for the school district. Through this assessment, it was determined he is delayed in several areas (behavioral and socially, gross motor, fine motor) and recommendations were made for him to start preschool. Rich and I have always wanted preschool for Sean, but we have been unable to afford the involved costs. I've prayed so much for this little guy, and have struggled with guilt about not being able to provide for his needs. Thankfully, though--through this unexpected turn of events--I am reminded that God ALONE is our PROVIDER. He is making a way for Sean when it seemed there was no way!

2) We are enjoying the space in our new home. This year's Thanksgiving experience was so much different than past gatherings in our miniature two-bedroom duplex. So much space to move! More than two people could be in the kitchen at once! Family members were able to spread out!! It was wonderful! I think the house, and the divine set of circumstances that brought it about, is still one of the things for which I am most thankful.

3) At the same time, my heart's been bursting with compassion for people who have no homes. Shane Claiborne's book, The Irresistable Revolution, is high on my list of recommended reading. He writes about living out faith in Christ by being an "ordinary radical," which he describes as someone actively bridging gaps between the rich and poor, not just missionally, but daily, relationally, daringly. His book, combined with my own brushes with poverty, have set my heart on fire. It's this holy fire that seems to be housing and heating up all the other ingredients of my life.

4) Rich's grandmother, Mary, died on the 23rd of November. We left on Thanksgiving day to attend the funeral in Chicago. Visiting Rich's family (after a too-long, two years apart) filled our hearts beyond measure, but also reminded us how hard it is when family is scattered around the country. Our stay was way too short, and we miss them all terribly.

5) The struggle continues to figure out how I can best serve my family's financial needs. My regular hours at the dinner theater are being cut due to the recessing economy. So once again we're in a financial pinch. Rich and I constantly pray for wisdom and direction regarding my job and where to spend our money. Through prayer, though, it seems our worries are slowly shifting away from ourselves to greater concerns for the world.

All in all, we're so thankful for ALL the different ingredients in our lives. When each part is separated out and looked at individually, it may not seem "good" or like a necessary part of the recipe. But, we are trusting that through Christ "all things hold together" (Colossians 1:17).















MERRY CHRISTMAS!

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum