Where are you Running?

Godspell is one of my all time favorite musicals. I was flipping through T.V. channels the other night and was lucky enough to catch the movie version on cable. I was mesmerized by the New York city-scape, and the clown-clad actors parading through Times Square. Familiar "old time" actors like Mandy Patinken. Most of all I was captivated by the message. . .LOVE. Amidst all the playful parodies and modern interpretations of Jesus' parables, one song (that I've never really understood before) stood out: Where are you going?

Part of the lyrics go: Where are you going, where are you going? Won't you take me with you. For my hand is cold and needs warmth. Where are you going? I'll put a pebble in my shoe, and watch me walk. I can walk and walk.

It's a haunting song where the disciples are aware that Jesus will walk in places they cannot go, and they don't want him to leave. And it struck me how nowadays WE are Christ to one another, and WE are called to walk in places where others will not go. There are hands that are cold and need warmth.

In light of this fresh image, the Charity Focus story and quote I received today was one over which I lingered:

The only real voyage consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes; in seeing the universe through the eyes of another, one hundred others -- in seeing the hundred universes that each of them sees. --Marcel Proust

Fact of the Day: At 5 a.m. on any given day, Anne Mahlum could be found running the dark streets of Philadelphia -- with homeless men cheering her on as she passed their shelter. But one morning last spring, she stopped in her tracks."Why am I running past these guys?" recalls Mahlum, 27. "I'm moving my life forward every day -- and these guys are standing in the same spot." In July 2007 the "Back On My Feet" running club hit the streets.The first day, Mahlum led nine shelter residents in a mile-long run. Today, Back on My Feet has teams in three Philadelphia shelters, including 54 homeless members and more than 250 volunteers. The group has logged more than 5,000 miles. [ more ]

Submitted by: Hafeez Jaffer

Be The Change: Do you encounter suffering that you pass by everyday in your own life? Perhaps it's explicit and overt, or maybe it's implicit and subtle. Either way, make an effort to address it in some way.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum