Faith Fix

Yesterday I wrote about hope, and trying to cling to the Hope-giver. I mentioned how hard it is to wrap my arms around the very thing I need when metaphorically my arms feel so tired and weak.

After signing off on that post, I went upstairs and opened my bible to Hebrews 11. It was a passage referenced in my biblestudy material, and even though I know the gist of Hebrews 11, I decided to reread it. (It's my new thing: read every verse referenced in the material, even if you think you know it.) It was more of an impulse than a choice, because I wasn't even sitting down to study. I was simply walking through my kitchen, saw the reference on a photocopy, flipped open my bible, and started reading right there, with bible on the stove. I was awestruck.

"Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Make level paths for your feet so that the lame will not be disabled, but rather HEALED." --Hebrews 12:12

Strengthen your feeble arms! A direct word from God, immediately after posting about being weak armed. "Hang on Cheri! Have hope. Have faith."

Within the same passage, the image of HOME also jumped off the page: "By faith Abraham made his home in the promised land." (Hebrews 11:9)

I pondered that for awhile. . . The desire for a home has been in my heart for a long time. I've wrestled with being "at home" in all circumstances. Broken, run down homes have also appeared in my dreams, teaching me about wisdom, creativity and possibility.

I wondered, Why did it take faith for Abe to settle in Caanan, a land that was already promised him? God had already given the land, and so making a home there, why would that be hard? Why doubt that?

But then I realized that the journey was all about faith. First, acting on the word that had been given to him. Traveling to Canaan. Then, arriving in Caanan--a land occupied by an entire nation of other people. He must have thought, Did I hear you right, God? I'm supposed to make my home here? It had to be discouraging and doubt-provoking. Abraham's every action was based on a simple, Spirit-whispered promise, that at times probably felt as tenuous as a wisp of cotton candy on the tongue.

While reading, I felt God nudging ME to believe, and honestly it scared me. "Lord, I'm not sure what to believe! What's the promise? What is my Caanan?"

And the Lord answered with a WHO not a what. "Fix your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of your faith." (Hebrews 12:2) The Word is alive, and I truly felt that I was dialoguing with it. I was deeply blessed, surprised, stirred, challenged.

So, I've come full circle, and I'm back to what I wrote yesterday: I want to cling to my Hope-giver and Faith-perfecter with all my might. It's amazing that today I cling with more than just a pinky finger. After a healing encounter with the Scriptures, I hold on with arms strengthened by God.

1 comments:

    On January 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM Anonymous said...

    Hi Cheri,

    I read your blog everyday and I'm so thankful for you words of insight, honesty, and transparency. It is a RISK and I honor you!

    We sit in a place of waiting...no longer for a child :) But for Jim's job!

    Here is some scripture that has given me great hope and comfort.

    Psalm 130
    Out of the depths I have cried to You, O Lord.
    Lord, hear my voice!
    Let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
    If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
    But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared.
    I WAIT for the Lord, my soul does WAIT, and in His word do I hope.
    My soul WAITS for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning,
    O Israel, hope in the Lord; for with the Lord there is lovingkindness, and with Him is abundant redemption.
    And He will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

    Isaiah 30: 18-21

    Therefore the Lord longs to be gracious to you, and therefore He WAITS on high to have compassion on you.
    For the Lord is a God of justice; How blessed are all those who long for Him.
    O people in Zion, inhabitant in Jerusalem, you will weep no longer.
    He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry; when He hears it, He will answer you.
    Although the Lord has given you bread of privation and water of oppression, He your Teacher will no longer hide Himself, but your eyes will behold your Teacher.
    Your ears will hear a word behind you, turn, this is the way, walk in it, whenever you turn to the right or to the left.

    love to you,
    julie mac

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum