Tis the Season

Well, the holidays are upon us, and those of us who struggle with (or have struggled with) depression are facing potential for the blues. Thanksgiving and Christmas offer moments to cherish family, celebrate traditions, nurture spiritual beliefs. And yet some of us during this time are vulnerable to "dis-ease." We feel isolated. Disconnected. Deflated. Alone. It can seem like everyone else is on the "right" side of the fence--feeling the love, warmth, and glow of the Together-Season. But for us, holidays disdainfully remind that between the real and the ideal there's an inevitable gap.

I am so thankful that when depression now tries to creep into my life, I have the skills and supports to deal. By the grace of God, and with timely help from others, I have learned the value of listening to grief--honoring it, and giving it it's proper place in my life. I do not believe in abandoning myself to feelings of sadness (leaving myself there) but rather surrendering to them as part of the human experience. In other words, when the holiday blues start dragging me down. . . I don't panic. I listen.

I started writing a book (several years ago) to try and articulate some of my life lessons related to depression and soul care--listening to one's life. Maybe this is a good season to begin sharing some of those passages as posts. I can't think of a better way for simultaneously offering myself and others healing and hope.

If you are struggling with feelings of depression, hopelessness, agitation, anxiety, my prayer is that you will tell someone. Find a listening ear. . . someone who can help you hear the language of your heart. That might be a friend, a family member, a pastor, or even a therapist.

There IS hope!

Offer yourself warm, tender, nurturing messages during this time. (E.g You have all that you need. You are deeply loved. The Spirit of God is holding you close.) Let your inner-voices be kind and full of grace.

Perhaps I'll add a chapter a day. We'll see how the Spirit leads. . . .

"To be alive is to be broken. And to be broken is to stand in need of grace."
Brennan Manning

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum