Giving to a Lost Cause?

Twice this week, I've stumbled across material that encouraged me to give without looking for the "warm fuzzies."

First, I received a Charity Focus article. It stated that outcome-driven charity (like reversing world hunger, or landing a homeless person a job/home, etc), while worthy, is not the reason we should give. Spiritual motives for giving should be unattached to "fixes." Then, I read an article in my Wheaton Alumni magazine about the same thing:

"I wonder what would happen," reflects author Mark Alan Powell, "if we collected the offering on Sunday morning, set the plates on the altar, and then tossed in a match, burning up everyone's money." He wrote a book, called Giving to God: The Bible's Good News about Living a Generous Life (Eerdmans, 2006), and emphasizes that Old Testament sacrifices were not used for practical purposes, like sustaining the priests, or helping the poor. The giving to God was itself the point. (Like the woman who poored her costly perfume all over Jesus' feet. How cool was that?)

It made me think of all the times I give because I think I'm making a difference, or because it makes ME feel good; I see direct results, or I have the privilege of seeing a thankful smile, or receiving a thank you note, or hearing encouraging updates on how my money is being used. We're so bombarded with opportunities to be generous, to donate our time and money, and of course I pick the causes that are most rewarding to ME.

Now, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with this, but it's probably the reason that needs, these days, have to be "marketed." Agencies, groups, organizations draw donations by dressing up their needs to make them look "appealing." They have to make opportunities to give fun, innovative, or rewarding to the public in some way. Like, "Buy a Haitian family a goat, and give it to your sister for Christmas." Or, "Bring in some canned goods and get $10.00 off at Valleyfair." It's sad to me, because imagine all the individuals and groups that aren't in a position to "sell" themselves as a worthy cause. What about them?

And what about the people that we can't seem to "fix?" We don't see the results that we'd hoped for, or the choices we'd want them to make, and so we. . . what?. . . abandon them? Move on to a different cause? I've been guilty of this, too.

But, recently, I've been challenged to look at things differently. To listen to those little nudges from God rather than let society define what "worthy" giving looks like. I'm going to trust that everything I do and say makes a difference, whether I can see it or not. And I might even be more willing to give my time and resources to something that looks (from a wordly point of view) like a dead end, or a "losing" cause.

The alumni article I read (written by John Stackhouse) closes with this thought, and I will too:

"What will any of us say or do today that will make a difference, that will mark an individual or community in an important way? We can't know. And we don't need to know. What we get to do instead is to render our whole selves up to God as grateful slaves, as living sacrifices. Whatever happens next is God's gift."

1 comments:

    On September 6, 2007 at 5:49 AM Anonymous said...

    I try to give money to street people that I see.....Sometimes I feel led by God to give to certain people. This can be very controversial.....People that I am with often don't want me to give them money, because they might spend it on drugs, alcohol or whatever...I still give...I figure its Gods job to take care of where they will spend it...not mine...He tells me to give, I just try to be faithful...He will take care of the rest....I guess for me there are still warm fuzzies for me, but they come from our creator, not from the people here on earth...

    Be Gods-
    Lisa

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum