Rites of Passage

I saw an ad for a spirituality class offered this fall at a local community center that has me intrigued. It's called Transition - Navigating Life's Changes. The description:

"It is often said that the one constant in life is change. Most of us are equipped to handle small changes in our schedule or routine. But, life's transitions demand a special reserve of strength and energy. Transitions are composed of an ending. . .middle passage. . .and a new beginning. Every ending, even if viewed in a positive light, involves some form of loss. The middle period can be particularly bleak [cocooning!], but this is also an opportunity to rediscover what is meaningful to you. Come with your stories and we will discuss moving through these rites of passage."

When the course description itself is encouraging and enlightening, the class might be just what I need. Off the page seemed to jump the line, "every ending, even if viewed in a positive light, involves some form of loss." It deals with a question that I've been mulling over and over in my mind without answer -- how do I move forward in hope and health without denying or downplaying my loss? The losses seem to come and come and come, like waves against the ocean shore, as our financial difficulties rise and persist. But, I wonder if I can avoid being knocked down every time, if my footing or mental stance simply need to change. I even ask myself -- are these losses real or perceived? This class seems to suggest they are real, and that it's important to talk about them, to share my story in a positive way.

This class holds out hope. I even have a few friends facing transitions of their own. Maybe I'll invite them to sign up with me, navigating life's changes together.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum