Feed the Children!

I caught a television show the other night on slums in Kenya, Africa. The desperation and despair of these children and families was overwhelmingly sad. Hard to watch. I think the last time that I allowed myself to watch one of these T.V. hunger specials in it's entirety was when I was in college. Now, nearly 20 years later, in light of all we've gone through as a family, I felt moved to take it all in. I sat on my couch, bawling, thinking about whether a measley $20 could make a difference. Of course we know in theory that every penny counts, but the thing that inspired me most was this:

The country of Taiwan has generously donated 11 million pounds of rice to Kenya's children. "Feed the Children" needs the monetary means to ship this gift across sea. I thought to myself, "If Taiwan can recognize a world-need and give so freely from their resources, why can't I share a bit from mine?" And then in all honesty I thought. . . "maybe this is just a marketing scheme to get me involved. "

How sad that I am distrusting.

But checking into this agency and reading about the leadership, their philosophy and so forth, helped. Plus, joining hands with others helps make the goal seem less out of reach. I'm sharing these needs on the blog with the hope that the circle of compassion will continue to grow and ripple outward. Won't you join me in feeding some hungry children? To watch a video and learn more, click here:

http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=usw_video_kenyaslums


Let me know if you feel inspired to contribute! It'll be fun to see the ripple affects of God's generous spirit amongst us!

Money is only useful when it is moving and flowing, contributed and shared, directed and invested in that which is life affirming. --Lynne Twist

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum